Wednesday 18 April 2012

Old house new house

Roland and Ivy Doe, Wilmot
 Part of the Lower Wilmot house was brought in from Waratah in 1931 and a couple of rooms were added but it was very small. The verandah was added in the 1950s but the Doe family moved out in 1957. There was never electricity or running water. When we visited, we cleaned our teeth using tooth powder and a bakelite mug of water. I came across one of those mugs a couple of years ago when preparing items for sale. I hadn't seen it in all that time.



Outdoor Laundry
 At the back of the house Nan stands beside the washing machine and the wringer. In my mind I can still see that washing billowing on the line. It seemed to be miles up in the air. Pop's long flannel underwear was fascinating, neatly hung up with dolly pegs. The cream colour of the fabric and bindings, revealing that it was made from woollen flannel. How uncomfortable and prickly it must have been to wear. I am so grateful for modern fabrics. It must have had to be washed by hand or it would have matted and shrunk. I am much more in favour of the push button on my machine.
All the ironing was done with flat irons heated by the fire until Nan purchased a Coleman gas iron. It sputtered but at least it didn't leave dirty marks on the clothes. I now have the iron, along with the instructions containing the serial number and date of manufacture.
Shopping instructions
Page 2 of a letter sent to me July 3 1957 when I had measles. She has just moved to a new house at Wilmot and mentions that she no longer has to climb the hill to go to the road. I used to love climbing that hill! We would make our way up the muddy track, trying to step on tufts of grass to keep our shoes clean. At the gate, we would collect the mail bag and present the mail man with letters and parcels for post.
She mentions the proximity of shops in Wilmot. There were several, the only remaining one being the original Coles Store.

No comments:

Post a Comment