Tuesday 10 April 2012

Lower Wilmot - a rural landscape




My grandparents home was exactly five miles from Wilmot.

Other changes have occurred in Wilmot. I am standing outside the gate at my grandparent's house (Ivy and Roland Doe). It is the same gate, still there in 2012. The earlier picture below is from about 1952/53. The post on the left has  lost its metal cap and is now a bit shorter than the gate. The post and rail fence had been replaced by the much less picturesque barbed wire and the dirt driveway is a bit more overgrown. Just at my left shoulder, a dam can now be seen in the background. When the Doe family lived here, this was the site of the long drop toilet. Made from planks, it had seats for two, large and small and was covered with climbing roses. I was always aware of snakes and spiders. It was not a place to dally. The paddock at the back used to be forest and was then cleared completely. Young gum trees have been planted across the slope, ready for future harvest.

I was much smaller then. I am on the left, holding Bambi
 while Marilyn cuddles George, my pig


No comments:

Post a Comment