Tuesday 17 January 2012

Fashionista

When Ephraim arrived in Van Diemen's Land, he gave his occupation as farm labourer. This doesn't tell us a lot. One relative wrote to me and told me that he had told her grandfather that in England you had to break the ice off the top of the swedes before they were pulled from the ground. Apart from swede pulling, he probably ploughed, cut wheat sowed seed and looked after animals.
My research into fashion tells me that in the regency period 1810-20), red suits were the “in thing” for boys. I wonder whether he had one of those. Farm labourers in East Anglia (Norfolk and Suffolk) wore smocks. I hadn’t really imagined him in something as pretty as that but he was probably all done up in embroidery and frills when he went off to do his work for the day.
My big question is, "Where , in a little cottage did they find enough space to lay out all that fabric so it could be cut properly."
Was the meal held up till the task was finished, no matter how late as it is in my house? And patterns? Did they admire something that the fashion icon of the farm was wearing and go home and tell Mum or the wife about it? Was there embarrassment when Grandma made it from a piece of left over from her stash and you had to smile while being presented with last years design?
Actually, these things have a lovely earthy look about them and are much more interesting than a tshirt and jeans. Have a look here
http://www.gurteen.co.uk/our-story/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment