Thursday 5 January 2012

Ephraim Doe lived here

We are  not exactly sure where Ephraim began his life journey. He certainly lived around South Lopham, Botesdale and Redgrave and was a bit of a wanderer. It took me some years to find records in England. Professional researchers did not find the clues. What a waste of money that was! It took a relative of a relative to find the the first concrete clue. A determined friend is a wonderful asset, especially one who is not on limited time. I had found a marriage of two likely looking parents (well I don't know exactly what they looked like) but I still haven't been able to positively connect them with him. I guess it was not a priority in the early 1800s to register every baby's birth or Christen him. I guess his mother was more worried about getting the nappies dry and finding somewhere for him to sleep. At least she gave him a name which stands out like a beacon. Thank goodness she didn't call him John or William. With a name like Ephraim, he is easy to spot. Ephraim spent the rest of his life making sure he was going to be remembered. Newspapers, court records, gaol records; it did not matter to him.
I don't think I would rush out and shake his hand if I was offered the opportunity to meet him. Apart from the fact that it would be all wrinkly and tobacco stained, he seems a bit scary. I would be warning Little Bo Peep to keep her sheep under control too. Sam Kekkovich would have to be careful too, especially with Australia Day coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment