Sunday 7 February 2016

A Useful Tool
Did my face echo my doubts when my aunt handed over the two large, rusted and dirty rings?
"They were my Grandfather's," she explained, "Parts of a maul."
In the back of my mind, I had a vague idea,  but when seeing a real one in a forestry museum a little later, I could see how the rings worked. A large cylindrical, wooden head had a ring around each end to stop the wood from splitting when the tool was hit hard against another surface.

Internet searches told me that a maul was used by circuses to hammer tent pegs into the ground. I think Ephraim was more likely to have used it for splitting timber and for fencing. It must have had a myriad of uses in the bush.

I cannot imagine how difficult it was to use such a tool. There certainly would have been no need to go to the gym at the end of the day. In fact, I have used the rings as weights. 
Texture marks spill the secret that they have been home made. A depression would have been made into sandy soil and a tin placed in the centre. Hot metal poured into the resulting circular well would have been then left to cool. 
Once any sharp edges were beaten flat, they would have been reheated before hammering into position on the maul.
I have had these a while now. They have been cleaned and de-rusted. I have no use for a large wooden maul but they are wonderful to place on slippery fabric to stop it sliding away when I am cutting out a pattern.

1 comment:

  1. For many years I suffered from intense back pain which sometimes could not move. I practiced judo for more than 15 years of my life and at the end, back pain took me to all kinds of physical activity. A year ago my pains disappeared after using Doctor James herbal mix medicine thanks to his-natural treatment I found on the internet which anyone can contact him on his Email@drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com. At least his treatment cured me completely. Hopefully it will be helpful for you as it happened with me. Dr. James herbal medicine is made of natural herbs, with no side effects, and easy to drink. If you have the same Backache or any type of human illness, including HIV / AIDS, herpes cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic cancers, bladder cancer, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Autism,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis ,Tach Diseases,Lupus,
    Dementia.kidney cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, skin cancer and skin cancer.testicular Cancer, , LEUKEMIA, VIRUSES, HEPATITIS, INFERTILITY WOMEN / LOTTERY.CONTACT EMAIL / WHATSAPP: Or drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com/ +2348152855846

    ReplyDelete