Sunday 24 June 2012

Pigeon post works better

Today, it is the computer running at miniscule speed but mostly failing altogether. Yesterday, it was the new mobile phone which drove me insane. Oh for the days when everything was simple. I remember when my Doe grandparents finally moved to an area where they could have a phone. You just picked up the receiver and turned the handle on the phone. The exchange would answer and you would be connected by real people. All down the line, you could hear them passing on your request until finally, the person you had called, would answer. My grandparents number was Wilmot 41. No fancy strings of number that noone would ever remember. When you finished, you simply hung up. At home, we had 4 numbers and unfortunately they were similar to the local taxi company so we had lots of people ringing for taxis. Still, we just dialled a number and it worked. My new phone has a touch screen which just sits there. I touch it and get no reaction, so I try again, and again. The green line moves across and just sits there, then the phone turns off again. I try again and again. I get a call  but 10 seconds later, the call cuts out. This happens time and time again. My messages don't send. This is modern technology. My phone came with an instruction manual, written so small that it is impossible to read comfortably. The page numbers are in the negative, little white numbers in a grey square - impossible to read.
Finally, I went back to the shop and presented the phone. I am told it does not work aand that all these problems are a result of it having too much loaded on it.
 "Do you use all these programs?" I am asked
"No, I don't even know what they all do."
The extra programs are removed and suddenly the phone starts to function reasonably.
Why were all these programs there? I am told that they are automatically on the phone when you buy it. I cannot believe that Mr Samsung is selling a phone which is designed to fail. What is the point of having a phone with all these functions, if it stops the phone from working? And why are they loaded on there? And why is the instruction book so useless?
Bring back the good old days.

No comments:

Post a Comment