Saturday 24 March 2012

Royal CLean Out

Yesterday I began a sorting and tidying task and came across this brooch. It is a bit the worse for wear, having lost it's "diamonds" and the silver is looking even more fake than when it was purchased. I used to wear this. As a two year old I was patriotic enough to want to wear the portrait of my king across my breast. I would be fairly certain that no two year olds in Britain, let alone Australia would be proudly wearing their Queen's portrait on a daily basis these days. Later, after the coronation of Queen Elizabeth 11, I had a "Queen" cup which was very precious and used for drinking Milo on special occasions. I also received a book about the Queen for my 3rd birthday and really treasured it . It had a  royal blue cover of course and I knew every picture intimately. There were pictures of the coronation, Prince Charles and Princess Anne as well as the Duke and Queen. I was taken to see the Queen when she came to Burnie, early in the day in the town and later in Burnie Park. I can't remember anything of it but it made my mother excited. She told me all about it years later. She was sure the Queen looked at me twice as I had the same blond curls as Princess Anne.
Of course, George VI was still gracing us with his portrait on our coins but they gradually disappeared to be replaced by the young and beautiful Elizabeth. As she aged, her portrait on the money lagged behind somewhat and we wondered what beauty treatments she was wearing. Then television told us the truth. She was just like the rest of us.
Royalty has had its highs and lows. Ephraim and Bridget lived through four regencies. Two Georges, a William and a Victoria graced the Royal throne during their lives. Would they have heard and recognised the Royal Anthem or stood to attention when it was played. Even though we no longer feel a great connection to the crown, we are far more aware of it than they ever could have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment